Legal Secretary – Litigation
Seeking experienced legal secretary for litigation department in our Avon office. While highly professional, our firm culture “behind the scenes” is very congenial and relaxed. Our average employee tenure is sixteen+ years and every employee is viewed as an integral member of the Team that serves our valued clients. We work very hard but enjoy the company of our co-workers at our annual Team Day luncheon (AWESOME food), Holiday Party (typically hosted at the home of one of our attorneys), and quarterly “happy” hours after-hours. We employ 30 attorneys and 40 support staff with offices in Avon and Sandusky. Side benefit = FREE parking without the downtown Cleveland traffic. There is long-term growth opportunity within the Firm for those who share our mission and values. Our Firm is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- M-F; 8:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- $18.00 – $22.00 per hour, commensurate with experience.
- Health insurance, Group Life Insurance, voluntary dental, vision, critical illness, accident, short-term disability, long-term disability and additional life insurance. 401(k) after six months of employment.
- Dress code for this position is business casual with a strong emphasis on “business.”
- Initial preparation and revision to litigation documents including: letters, pleadings, complaints, briefs, appeals, and other documents per the timekeeper’s instruction
- Ability to transcribe from dictation and handwritten text
- Serve as occasional front desk back-up receptionist when primary and secondary receptionists are PTO
- Communicate with clients via phone, email, and mail as necessary
- Copying, printing, and scanning of documents as necessary
- Conduct all duties in compliance with all laws and legal ethics
- Perform other tasks as assigned
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED)
- Three years of legal secretarial experience; specific civil litigation experience is a major bonus.
- Ability to perform each job duty (with or without reasonable accommodation)
- Must have very strong computer skills including MS Office 2010 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), Windows 7, and Internet Explorer. Our Firm uses legal practice management software called Prolaw for which we will provide training. (Pre-employment testing will be conducted so, do not exaggerate your level of computer knowledge.)
- Must be comfortable and competent working in a structured environment with many established and highly specific procedures
- Maintain a professional, friendly, cheerful, and highly courteous demeanor at all times.
- Must be punctual in arriving for work and in meeting all work deadlines
- Team player mentality
- Must be readily accepting of supervision, constructive criticism, and having errors pointed out while also being able to work autonomously
- Must be able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Must be competent in understanding and following verbal and written instruction
- Must be competent in grasping and incorporating new information quickly
- Must exercise good judgment and make great decisions
- Must exercise strong time management skills and prioritization of duties to create maximum efficiency with minimum disruption or redundancy
- Must approach duties in an energetic manner and show strong initiative
- Must possess strong organizational and project management skills
Factors — Physical, Mental, & Environmental:
- Must be able to work independently
- Must be able to sit for extended periods of time
- Must be able to maneuver throughout all areas of the facility and from floor to floor by either elevator or stairways (when elevator is inoperable)
- Must be able to lift files boxes of up to 40 lbs (carts are available for transport); and, have the ability to push, pull, reach, bend, twist, stoop and kneel
- Must have the manual dexterity to operate a computer and other necessary office equipment
- Must be capable of multi-tasking and able to readily adjust duties to accommodate expected and unexpected changes without frustration or complaint
- Must be able to use tact and understanding when dealing with a variety of personalities and perform well under stress
- Must be fluent in oral and written English
- Job Type: Full-time
Please complete the online Employment Application and submit a resume and cover letter to:
Wickens, Herzer, Panza, Cook & Batista Co.
Attn: Christina A. Maschari, HR Manager
35765 Chester Road
Avon, OH 44011-1262
(440) 695-8098 Fax