PRACTICE AREA: Litigation
Mr. Farrell is a member of the Litigation practice group, and he focuses upon advocating for his business clients and individual clients to efficiently resolve their disputes. Mr. Farrell has developed a complex civil litigation practice wherein he routinely represents businesses and individuals in disputes focusing on business torts, appeals, commercial, construction defect, financial services, first-party insurance coverage, partnership, and real estate disputes, and other complex contract and tort claims. Mr. Farrell is a member of the Firm's Trust, Estate, & Probate Litigation practice, prosecuting and defending actions and claims involving trustees, beneficiaries, and executors in trust and probate disputes and other fiduciary-related litigation. Throughout his career, Mr. Farrell has handled numerous actions from inception to resolution in state and federal courts around the country.
Mr. Farrell's abilities are evidenced by his representation of:
- An insurer seeking to recover claims paid by commercial property insurers in a $5 billion subrogation action arising from the 9/11 terrorist attack, resulting in a highly-favorable confidential settlement.
- Plaintiff classes in Iowa and Wisconsin in indirect purchaser antitrust class actions, where Plaintiffs alleged that a major software company had illegally monopolized and engaged in unreasonable restraints of trade for its operating system and productivity application software. Cases in both Iowa – following three months of trial – and Wisconsin resulted in advantageous settlements.
- Plaintiffs in a nationwide class action involving trespass claims brought by land owners against telecommunications carriers and railroads related to the installation of fiber optic cable along railroad rights-of-way.
- A homeowners' association in a dispute within an adjacent retail association, resulting in a favorable decision from the trial court to enforce a contested settlement agreement, later affirmed by the Court of Appeals.
- A real estate developer in business partnership dispute litigation, resulting in favorable settlement.
- Minority shareholders in a multi-party action and dispute with majority shareholders resulting in a favorable buyout of the minority shareholders by the majority shareholders.
- Numerous trustees/executors and beneficiaries in several family trust and estate disputes, with an emphasis on family farm trust/partnership litigation, resulting in multiple favorable resolutions.
Mr. Farrell and his family recently returned home to Northeast Ohio following several years spent practicing in Minneapolis. He is a member of the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, the Lorain County Bar Association, the Ohio State Bar Association, the Hennepin County, Minnesota Bar Association, the Minnesota State Bar Association, and the John Carroll University Ambassadors Program.
LEARN MORE ABOUT BILL
State of Ohio
State of Minnesota
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
U.S. District Court for the District of North Dakota
Associate Editor, Vanderbilt Law Review (2003-2004)
Member, Vanderbilt Law Review (2002-2004)
Vanderbilt Moot Court Board Traveling Team (2002-2003)
Lightfoot, Franklin & White Best Oralist Award Recipient
West Group Outstanding Graduate Award for Scholastic Achievement
- "Cedant's Sharing of Privileged Documents with Reinsurers Waives Attorney-Client Privilege: Significant Oregon Federal District Court Decision," Spring 2010 issue, AIRROC Matters; and
- "Case Note: Fonte v. Audubon Insurance Co.," ABA Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee's Hot Topic Article, August 27, 2009.
- "The 9/11 Terrorist Attack – Insurance, Legal Liability and Public Policy Issues," presented to St. Louis Park, Minnesota Rotary Club, January 2015
SEND US A MESSAGE
Our team of attorneys and paralegals understands what it means to be a trusted advisor. Sure, we provide legal counsel but we do so much more. We provide a business partnership, support, advice and protection to our clients who become our family. Get to know us better and decide for yourself.